Continuing from the Cuba Revolutionary May Day Tour, the Viñales extension gives you the chance to visit some of the lesser known sites…
- Trip Includes/Excludes
Continuing from the Cuba Revolutionary May Day Tour, the Viñales extension gives you the chance to visit some of the lesser known sites in Havana, such as the secret bunker where the missiles from the Cuban Missile Crisis were stored. In addition, this extension also heads to the up and coming town of Viñales in Pinar del Rio Province. We’ll explore the sites as well as pay a visit to Cuba’s second infamous Cave Nightclub!
Monday 7th May
- Depending on the Cuban bureaucracy we will aim to leave at 11:00am.
- Our first stop is the first statue of Lenin ever erected after his death on Lenin Hill. This is very rarely visited by tourists.
- Lunch at a Cuban style street restaurant
- #TRIP HIGHLIGHT# We now make a trip to the incredibly secret bunker where the Soviet Union stored nuclear weapons during the 1980s Cuban Missile Crisis. As well as being incredibly hard to find, this place has only recently been discovered and therefore open to tourists, however very few come to visit!
- In the Afternoon, we take a look at former Soviet embassy, which is an impressive piece of Soviet architecture. We will also see some other Soviet-era tower blocs which make for some great photos of Havana’s rich history
- Afterwards we go on the 2-3 hour drive to Viñales. Upon arrival, we check into our accommodation before heading out to dinner and drinks in what used to be a sleepy town and now has bustling nightlife.
- Overnight in Viñales
Tuesday May 8th
- In the morning, we head to the prehistoric wall for some amusing photos before heading over to a tobacco farm for a chance to see the process of cigar making, as well as have a try of the produce
- Another great reason to come to this farm is for the stunning views of the surrounding rolling hills that you get from here
- Lunch at farm accompanied by great views
- Viñales is renowned for its stunning caves, a number of which are quite popular with tourists which we avoid like the plague, instead we grab our local guide and use his knowledge to take us to a cave that is still relatively untouched by outsiders. This will take an hour’s hike through the cave network with lights before we get to the swimming part of the adventure. This part of our journey is absolutely amazing, so don’t forget your go-pro!
- Afterwards we head back for a quick shower, then we head out to a great vantage point to enjoy our last sunset with a well-deserved cocktail as a group.
- We finish our last night in Viñales with an authentic home cooked Cuban meal at our homestay.
- Drinks and conversation in the rocking chairs on the patio to end our last evening.
Wednesday May 9th
- Head back to Havana after breakfast
- End of tour! Cuban Pioneers can arrange a private taxi to the airport for you if you wish.
- Accommodation: Every night of the tour.
- Transport: To complete the itinerary.
- Breakfasts: for each day of the tour, except the arrival day.
- All lunches (excluding arrival and departure day)
- Local English-speaking guide throughout.
- Experienced, western Cuban Pioneer guide throughout.
- All entrance fees as per itinerary